суббота, 13 декабря 2014 г.

Les Gangsters

I have never heard about Hervé Guibert until I have found an interview with Isabelle Adjani where she talked about her refusal to act in a film, which the late author has planned specially for her. Thanks to Mademoiselle Adjani, I have discovered Patrick Modiano (to put it more frankly – I heard about the Nobel Prize in Literature for Modiano, and then I have scanned, because of my poor French, the article about him by Adjani). Such brilliant actress won’t read or recommend a second rate literature and the Modiano’s case have proved it. That is why I have decided to read Hervé Guibert books.



Les Gangsters stars out as a story about defrauding of two elderly women – Louise and Susanne – by some Portuguese workers. Susanne and Louise are the cousin grandmothers of Hervé Guibert.

The book starts out as a crime story, but behind the façade, there is a much deeper theme – the feel of inevitable death. Hervé Guibert never directly mentions AIDS but he has Herpes zoster – one of the side illnesses of this terrible virus. In my opinion, he feels certain emotional bond to Susanne and Louise because they are also slowly dying.

Les Gangsters also deals with the usual theme of «life must go on». Despite the pain, Hervé Guibert tries to live a normal life – dating one lover, trying to find his true love and affection Vincent. Additionally, he tries to reexamine his life by recalling some of the most notable events and how defrauding scheme have changed his perception of the world.

Les Gangsters is the case of a simple book, which grows into something bigger with every page. You can even feel certain admiration for Hervé Guibert, who continues to live and write, despite his terrible illness.


P.S. Thanks to my Right Honorable Friend Florence Dhenin who told me that Hervé Guibert is a great writer – I agree with you!

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий